Friday, September 14, 2012

Kerala Chicken Roast

 Kerala Chicken Roast
This is the first time I used a whole organic chicken rather than buy separate pieces. When I was in high school, my parents wanted me to learn this 'very important' skill, so that I don't disappoint my future in-laws. Who knew back then that they would turn out to be pure vegetarian lol! I used to squeal touching raw meat, though I loved devouring the cooked versions. On a dreaded weekend, my dad dragged me into the kitchen and forced me to cut the whole chicken. It felt like an operating table, my mom on my left side, and dad on my right, giving directions to a novice surgeon! Only difference was that, the novice was screaming, looking disgusted, even crying! After that day, I did it again, I guess 12 years later, minus the squealing and minus the parents. But with my husband on my side, on the verge of throwing up every time I tore it open and pulled apart the skin. I felt he was acting like the 16 year old me. I was surprised that I still remembered every step of the procedure. I decided to try something different this time, a Kerala style chicken roast.

Credit: I followed vahchef Sanjay Thumma's recipe. His videos are so hilarious, such a joker!

Here's the recipe:
Ingredients:

1 whole Chicken - cut into medium sized pieces, without skin
1 tbsp red chilli powder
1 pinch turmeric
1 tbsp coriander powder
2 tbsp ginger garlic paste
1 tsp cumin seeds
10 pearl onions sliced fine
2 sprigs curry leaves
2 tbsp coconut grated fresh
1 tbsp broken cashewnuts (optional)
1 tsp vinegar
1 tsp pepper pwd
4 green chillies
1 pinch garamasala
2 tbsp oil
2 sprigs coriander leaves
salt as per taste
Method:

Take chicken clean and marinate with chilli powder, salt, coriander powder, turmeric, ginger garlic paste mix well and keep a side for 4hrs.
Now take a pan add oil, add cumin seeds, sliced pearl onions and fry for 5 mins on medium flame. Then add curry leaves mix well, and add grated coconut and cashewnuts (if using) and mix for a couple of minutes. Now add the marinated chicken mix well and close it with a lid and cook till the chicken is done, around 10 minutes. The chicken will ooze its juices out. Remove the lid and add vinegar.
Once the chicken is 90% done add pepper pwd, half slit green chillies, kerala garamasala, mix and cook till the chicken is dry.
Once the chicken is dry, top it with chopped coriander leaves.

Kerala Chicken Roast Topview

1 comments:

Joy said...

This looks delicious and super easy! Do hop over to www.chef-on-the-run.blogspot.com