Sunday, October 7, 2012

Italian Spaghetti Sauce served with Chicken Hawaiian Meatballs and Linguine



My husband came back from the grocery store with a packet of Aidell's Chicken Meatballs - Hawaiian style Pineapple. So I made an easy pasta sauce (similar to the one I made for Chicken Parmesan), and served it with Linguini. I did not have spaghetti in stock, and I like Linguini better.
Ingredients:

Onion - 1 medium, chopped
Garlic - 4 cloves chopped finely
Olive Oil - 3 tbsp
Red Bell Pepper - 1/2 chopped
Tomato - 1 chopped
Salt to taste
Sugar - 1/2 tsp (optional)
Bay Leaf - 1
Tomato paste or Pasta Sauce - 1 cup
Dried basil - 1/2 tsp
Ground black pepper - 1/2 tsp
Parsley - a handful chopped

Method:

Heat meatballs in oven as per instructions on packet. Or make your own. (I've never done this yet).
Heat olive oil in a saucepan. Add chopped garlic and onions. Saute till onions turn translucent. Add red bell peppers and saute for a few minutes. Stir in chopped tomatoes, salt, sugar (if using), and bay leaf. Reduce heat to low, cover and let simmer for about 10 mins.





Now add tomato paste and basil. (I used a pasta sauce that has tomatoes and basil), black pepper and meatballs. Simmer for 15-20 minutes. Serve on cooked linguine and garnish with freshly chopped parsley.

Note: Inspired by All recipes Italian Spaghetti Sauce. It says that the simmering time is 90 mins first, and 30 mins after the tomato paste is added. I was not so patient, but you can try and see if it really brings out the flavours more.

0 comments: