Sunday, March 3, 2013

Keema Matar

Keema matar is one of my favorite dishes. My mom used to make this for me and my sister when she feels like treating us to something special. She used to also make a pan grilled bread that was a lot like naan to go with this. When I started to cook on my own, this is one of the first recipes that I decided to master. Its quite simple and delicious!



Ingredients:
1 lb ground beef (you can use ground lamb, chicken or turkey too)
1/2 cup frozen green peas
1 large onion chopped
3 cloves garlic
1 inch piece ginger
2 green chillies sliced fine
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 inch piece cinnamon
4 cloves
2 cardamom
1 bay leaf
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 tsp red chilli powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp garam masala
1/4 tsp asafoetida
salt to taste
1 tbsp oil
4 tbsp tomato puree
2 tbsp milk
2 tbsp yoghurt
2 tsp lemon juice

Method:
Heat oil in a wok. Add cumin seeds, cinnamon, bay leaf, cardamom and cloves. Then add onion and salt. Saute on medium heat for about 10 mins, till  it turns brown. Add ginger, garlic and green chillies. Continue sauteeing for a long time till everything softens up. Add turmeric, red chilli powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, garam masala and asafoetida. Mix till raw smell disappears. Add tomato puree. Cook till raw smell goes. Then add ground beef. Mix thoroughly so that no chunks form. Add 2 tbsp milk. When beef turns brown, add more tomato puree if required. Adjust salt as well. Add green peas and cook further for another 5 minutes. Take off heat and let cool down. Mix yoghurt and sprinkle lemon juice before serving.

1 comments:

alexey said...

I have tried this recipe and it's delicious. I have heard that in Uttar Pradesh,India people make this dish with smashed peas instead. So I would like to try next time with smashed peas in this delicacy :) I would let you know after I have tried it that way also.