Sunday, December 22, 2013

Chicken Liver Fry (Kerala style)


This dish is a family favorite! This is my mom's recipe and I've loved it every single time she made this since childhood. My sister and I would fight over the last bits all the time. My mom used to make it in an old cast iron skillet, so the spices and onions get nicely caramelized, with crunchy powdery liver bits stuck to the pan. Gosh that's the best part! Back in Saudi Arabia, we loved having this with Khubuz and Laban (thick buttermilk). It's a dry dish, so if you're having it with rice, kachiya moru is an excellent accompaniment to it. You'll be sure to lick your plate clean :)

My mom knows that my sister and I love this a lot, that every time we come over to visit, she will make sure that this dish is made at least once. And sometimes, she will even make a huge batch for us to take on our flight back!

Chicken liver, I guess is an acquired taste. I love it because I've had it many times as a kid. The hubby on the other hand found it revolting at first. He does like it now (he better! coz it's one of my favorite dishes of all time so I'm gonna keep making this a lot!!) It does taste amazing especially with all the spices, but the key is to overcome the fact that you're eating an animal's organs. I can understand it, because I can't get myself to eat deep fried goat brains among many other organs, though I've heard that they taste pretty amazing too.

Check out the tub of chicken livers I got at the grocery store. Reminds me of ice cream. Would be a wierd flavor for ice cream though.. lol!


I apologize for the so-so photographs, they were taken with my phone. I could'nt bring myself to get the camera out and plate the dish nicely, because it was late and I couldn't wait to eat it as soon as it was ready haha!

Ingredients:
Chicken Liver - 1/2 kg
Red Chilli powder - 4 tbsp
Coriander powder - 2 tbsp
Pepper powder - 1 tsp
Homemade garam masala - 1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder - a pinch
Onions - 2 to 4 large, sliced
Ginger - 1" piece chopped
Garlic - 3 large cloves chopped
Oil - 2 tbsp
Salt to taste

Method:

Clean chicken liver using a dash of salt and vinegar in water. Remove any excess fat.
Put the liver in a deep pot (I use my 3 liter pressure cooker pot). Add the chilli powder, coriander powder, pepper powder, garam masala and turmeric powder. Pour just enough water to cover the liver. Cook it on medium heat till the water dries up. Add salt when it's about to dry. (Note: Do not add salt in the beginning because this will harden the liver)
Now in a skillet or frying pan, heat oil and fry the onions, ginger and garlic. Season with salt. When the onions have browned, add the cooked liver to this and combine well.
Serve warm with rice and moru or yoghurt. They make delicious leftovers!

Be sure to check out my recipes for:
Moru Kachiyathu
Homemade Garam Masala
Easy Khubuz

While writing this post, I did google to see if a chicken liver ice cream exists (I know bacon ice cream exists, so why not!) Surely enough, a restaurant in Estonia does serve one:
Chicken liver ice-cream with gorgonzola cream, praline, celery & potato crumble
Chicken liver ice-cream with gorgonzola cream, praline, celery & potato crumble - Picture of Ribe, Tallinn
This photo of Ribe is courtesy of TripAdvisor

And a molecular gastronomer in South Africa made Chicken Liver and Bacon Paté Ice cream:

0 comments: