Friday, April 1, 2011

Spicy Tomato Chutney

This is what I prepared for tonight's dinner. Bee came back from the UK today. Boy what a HOT day today was!! Bangalore has become unbearable hot to withstand. Bee is feeling kinda sick coz of the climate change and wanted somethin to cool his body down. When I told him I had chappathis and havent figured out the side dish yet, he asked if I could prepare a spicy tomato chutney. I reckon he remembered the usual tomato chutney which was chilled and spicy that we used to have at this north indian mess called Prayag Raj. So I googled it and found something similar..
Credit: http://www.foodreference.com/html/spicytomatochutney.html

Ingredients:

½ cup corn oil (I used canola oil)
1 tablespoon mustard seed, toasted
4 tablespoons minced garlic
1 tablespoon cumin
4 yellow onions, finely minced (used 1 large and 1 medium onion - sliced it, and put it into the mixer jar and gave it a quick turbo pulse)
20 Roma tomatoes, coarsely chopped (I used about 6 usual tomatoes)
4 tablespoons minced ginger
Salt
6 jalapeƱos, minced (I used 3 long green chillies sliced finely)
3 cups packed cilantro, cleaned and coarsely chopped
1 tablespoon ground fenugreek seed**

Method:

In a large pot, over medium heat, (I splutteed mustard seeds first, added jeera) fry garlic, onion, ginger, and jalapeƱos(green chillies) in oil for one minute.

Add spices (fenugreek powder) and continue cooking for one more minute.
Add tomatoes and a dash of salt and bring to a boil.

Cook for 15 minutes (covered with lid) or until almost reduced to a coarse paste.
Cool it.. try serving it chilled with chappathis and coriander chutney on the side.

0 comments: