Credit: Pazham Pappadam Payasam e-book pg.33
Prep. Time: 55 mins.
- Yam ¼ cup, cut to chunks
- Plantain 1 small, Skin peeled off and cut to diagonal chunks
- Yoghurt 4 cups
- Turmeric powder ½ tsp
- Black Pepper powder 1 ½ tsp
- Green Chilly 2 nos
- Cumin seeds ¼ tsp
- Grated Coconut 1 cup
- Fenugreek powder a pinch, roasted
- Salt as needed
- Curry leaves
- Mustard seeds ½ tsp
- Dry red chilly 2 nos
- Oil 1 tbsp
- Ghee 1 tsp
1. Heat a wide mouth pan at medium heat and add the Yam and Plantain pieces
with a cup of water.
2. Add Turmeric powder and Pepper powder. Allow the Vegetables to cook well and
then add Salt.
3. When the liquid from Vegetables are almost dried up, add 1 tsp. Ghee and mix
4. Mash the veggies gently, reduce flame to low and add the beaten Yoghurt to
5. Throw in Curry leaves and stir well until Yoghurt starts to boil.
6. Meanwhile grind together Coconut, Cumin seeds and green Chilly to a fine paste
with 20ml Water.
7. When the liquid from Yoghurt is completely evaporated (4 cups Yoghurt will get
reduced to almost 2 cups), add the Coconut paste and mix well. Cook for a few
8. Add a pinch of Fenugreek powder and switch off the stove.
9. Heat 1 tsp Oil in another pan and splutter Mustard seeds and dry red Chilly with
some Curry leaves. Pour the tempering.