Friday, January 7, 2011

Egg Curry

Egg-Curry

This is one curry I make when I am in no mood to cook but very hungry. Its fast, easy and oh so delicious. I usually have it with brown bread roasted on a pan with a little butter. Sometimes I have it with rice too.

Credit: http://www.vazhayila.com/2009/05/egg-curry.html

view original source ! Vazhayila !: Egg curry http://www.vazhayila.com/2009/05/egg-curry.html#ixzz1AMGqTm00

Ingredients:
Egg (hard boiled) - 3
Onions chopped - 2
Tomato chopped - 1
Ginger and Garlic crushed - 1.5 tsp
Green chili - 3(optional)
Coconut milk - 1 cup
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Chilly powder - 1  tsp
Coriander powder - 1 tsp
Garam Masala- 1/2 tsp
OR Crushed Star anise and Cardamom - 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
Dried Bay Leaves - 1
Curry Leaves - 1 sprig
Oil - 1 tbsp

My Note:
At the time of adding coconut milk in this recipe, I use the thick first pressed milk. So while adding this coconut milk to our recipe, I first take a quarter cup of the milk into a cup and the rest with water to lighten it. I then add this light coconut milk to the frying pan of masala as I have had a few bad experiences while adding thick coconut milk into it. It burnt the milk coz of the heat of the pan and gave the curry an overall bitter taste which was horrible! I did not face this problem when using canned coconut milk in the US. Or you can even add just plain water first to the masala. And then add the coconut milk into this mixture, which can also prevent the milk from burning.

Method:
Heat oil in a pan ,add ginger ,garlic and green chillies, bay leaves and curry leaves and sauté it for a minute
Add chopped onions and sauté till they are translucent and then add chopped tomatoes and sauté it till the oil separate. Add all the powders, salt and stir for a minute.
Mix coconut milk with it and allow it to boil on a medium flame.
Finally add the hard boiled eggs cut lengthwise and simmer for 2- 3 minutes.
Serve with rice or chapati...

Cheers!!!!

0 comments: