Friday, January 7, 2011

Carrot-Potato Mezhukkupuratti : The love of Vazhayila!

One of the best blogs that I have found for the traditional Syrian Christian Kerala recipes are from vazhayila.blogspot.com This one is almost like a cooking bible for me. Most of the recipes are the simple foods that my mom used to cook everyday in our kitchen in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. My sister and I took them for granted and complained about eating such boring food when I could try something continental or north indian or mughlai or italian or mexican.... And then those horrible hostel days while studying engineering where most of us would complain at the spiciness or the tasteless food.
But now looking back at those days, I remember that despite all those complaints, we used to eat to our content and some of those staple foods actually did taste quite good, not to forget was healthy too. So now on my journey back to my roots, here are some of my favourite recipes from vazhayila.com

Credit: http://www.vazhayila.com/2010/03/carrot-potato-mezhukkupuratti.html

view original source ! Vazhayila !: Carrot - Potato Mezhukkupuratti http://www.vazhayila.com/2010/03/carrot-potato-mezhukkupuratti.html#ixzz1AM7woeLi

Ingredients:

Potato - 3 nos.
Carrot - 2 nos.
Onions chopped - 1 small
Garlic - 2 cloves
Chili powder - 1 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Garam masala - 1/4 tsp
Curry leaves 
Salt to taste
Oil

Method:

Crush Onions and garlic in a mortar and pestle.Clean and Slice the carrots lengthwise and put it in water, if not it may cause potatoes to change color.Heat oil in a pan and  curry leaves, crushed onions and garlic. Saute for 3-4 minutes. Add chili powder , turmeric powder and Garam masala and toss it well for a minute.Add drained potato , carrots , salt and 1/4 cup water. Cover it with a lid and cook for 7-10 minutes or until its is cooked and dry. Uncover and sautee for another 3-4 minutes , stirring frequently. Serve warm
Cheers!!!
My notes:
1. As I do not have a mortar and pestle, I would just slice the onions finely and add them. Garlic, I would crush them by taking the flat part of a chef's knife and apply pressure to the garlic clove. So the clove gets crushed and its easier to peel its cover away. Now add them to the recipe.
A photographic guide for dummies: http://www.garlic-central.com/garlic-crushing.html
2. I added the potatoes in water as I was more concerned about those off white little cute cubes to turn light brown.
3. You can also add some bell peppers (capsicum) - I always have some leftover and need to use them before they go bad. So I use them and it adds a wonderful flavor to this recipe.
4. The technique used here to cook potatoes is actually a very good one. Some people would also make this mezhukkupuratti by boiling the potatoes first. But boiling them first and then frying them does add the risk of overcooking them and potato will end up being very mushy and would absorb a lot of oil. So if you use this technique of sauteing the veggies first and then adding enough water to cover them in the frying pan, and allowing it to cook, you get a texture that has a slight bite but is cooked well. Serve with steamed rice and dal. Bon appetit!

0 comments: